Official gripe

dasadler
5StarLounger

Official gripe

Post by dasadler »

Prior to posting a new topic, I like to search the appropriate forum in case my issue has already been addressed and resolved.

Today I was looking into the home networking forum to find information on NAS. I searched for NAS and nothing was returned so I tried again using 'storage' as the search term. This time I got a lot of hits including many NAS hits (which were previously denied me).

I suppose. then, the search term must be at least four characters and that is probably good for many things but in this (technology) world we use a lot of three letter terms (NAS, MP4, MOV, UPS, etc). Would you consider removing that four character restriction? Maybe you could insert a note that using less than four characters may return a lot of irrelevant hits.

Just a thought.
Don

HansV
Administrator

Re: Official gripe

Post by HansV »

As far as I know, that is a setting of MySQL, the database engine behind the Lounge. It's probably done to speed up searching.
Best wishes,
Hans

dasadler
5StarLounger

Post by dasadler »

And it probably does unless you are searching for a three letter term. Thanks for the response.
Don

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

dasadler wrote:And it probably does unless you are searching for a three letter term. Thanks for the response.
It was suggested to me that I weld a wildcard character onto a three-character search term as in *NES or NES*

Does that work for you? (Like it worked for me)
He who plants a seed, plants life.

dasadler
5StarLounger

Post by dasadler »

Thanks for the tip... it did work for me as well.
Don