Please Move My Last Post - Also Auto Login Problem

BobH
UraniumLounger

Please Move My Last Post - Also Auto Login Problem

Post by BobH »

Although I thought I had navigated to Other Applications before posting the CCleaner info for Dave D., it seems to have wound up in this topic. Mea Culpa! (Sounds of whip beating breast and back)
Please, will an Admin move it?

The reason for coming to Lounge Matters is that I too have recently experienced having to login in when browsing Eileen's Lounge. I expect it to happen when returning after my system has been shut down, but on several occasions it has happened when I have no indication that my system has been down.

Here is an ss of my CCleaner cookie settings. Could something else be affecting the cookies? I didn't think to look for a cookie before logging in to see if somehow it has gone missing. I shall do so if it happens again.
CClnr.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Re: Please Move My Last Post - Also Auto Login Problem

Post by HansV »

The CCleaner setting looks OK, so I don't think that causes the problem.

Could you try the following:

- Go to the Board Index.
- Click the link "Delete all board cookies". In the default prosilver skin, you'll find this link near the bottom, and in the other skins, near the top.
- Refresh the page (press F5). You should now be logged out because the logged in status is kept in the Lounge cookie.
- Now go to the login page and login again, ticking the check box "Log me on automatically each visit".

Does that help?
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I have moved part of the thread started by Dave Davison, including your latest reply, to the Other Applications forum.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

HansV wrote:The CCleaner setting looks OK, so I don't think that causes the problem.

Could you try the following:

- Go to the Board Index.
- Click the link "Delete all board cookies". In the default prosilver skin, you'll find this link near the bottom, and in the other skins, near the top.
- Refresh the page (press F5). You should now be logged out because the logged in status is kept in the Lounge cookie.
- Now go to the login page and login again, ticking the check box "Log me on automatically each visit".

Does that help?
After deleting the board cookies as instructed, I logged in again with the automatic login box ticked. I then closed Firefox and reopened it. Eileen's Lounge is one of the tabs that opens when I open Firefox. I did NOT have to log in this time.

I'm not certain exactly what that did. Did it affect the same cookie that CCleaner is preserving? If so, that means that I somehow got it corrupted without knowing it. Or, is it a different cookie used only by the lounge? Can there be more than one cookie for a URL?

Enquiring minds want to know.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Cookies sometimes crumble (become corrupted). Why? How? I have no idea - it could be cosmic radiation, intervention by aliens, or just fate.
Removing the cookie, then creating it anew (which is done automatically when you login) ensures that you have a fresh, uncorrupted Lounge cookie.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

HansV wrote:Cookies sometimes crumble (become corrupted). Why? How? I have no idea - it could be cosmic radiation, intervention by aliens, or just fate.
Removing the cookie, then creating it anew (which is done automatically when you login) ensures that you have a fresh, uncorrupted Lounge cookie.
Good to know!

:wine: :wine: :wine:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Now Hans, can you move the "Cookies sometimes crumble" part to Scuttlebutt or the Cooking forum please.
I have lots to say about how to avoid the crumble with various ingredients and binders, not to mentions the toppings and fillers to make 'em yummy! :yum:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Please start a new thread in the Cooking forum if you'd like to share recipes for (crumbled) cookies... :evilgrin:
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

always a pleasant surprise to witness the good humour [English spelling] and freindly banter among participants... or should this be sent via the Skuttlebut page I wonder? Here hoping I'm right this time. Regards Dave.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Dave Davison wrote:or should this be sent via the Skuttlebut page I wonder? Here hoping I'm right this time. Regards Dave.
I work on this assumption: (it must be working since I am not banned yet!)

The forum is determined by the opening post (and the appropriate topic it raises)
Any replies to the topic will naturally form part of the thread and be associated with the forum in which it resides.
There is no need to fuss if your reply is suitable for the forum the thread is in if it is related to the replies, even if the replies veer off topic (which can happen esp. after the solution has been provided).
Of course, if the banter becomes too "messy", the admins will jump in and either ban you, or trim the thread and place the unnecessary banter into Scuttlebutt.
Regards,
Rudi

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

We ban users very rarely. Here in Eileen's Lounge, the only ones we've banned were spammers who posted advertisements. We haven't had to threaten anyone with banning for misbehaviour.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

So, there we go Dave...
As long as you don't try selling off your herbal life stock here in the lounge, I guess you are safe :laugh:
Regards,
Rudi

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

If a regular member advertised something in the lounge we'd probably just delete it and send them a warning. The people that get banned are the ones who have clearly only created accounts so they can post SPAM. We get a few of these, but they don't last long.
StuartR