Auto logging in

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Auto logging in

Post by Dave Davison »

Despite the box being ticked autorizing auto log in it does not happen, what else can I do to rectify this little anomaly please. Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Auto logging in

Post by HansV »

Have you set your browser to delete browsing history on exit?
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Your browser can be set to delete cookies automatically when you exit. Make sure that this setting is not active. Click "Tools" then select "Internet Options" to access.
Alternatively, have you recently run CCleaner or any other Cleaner that is set to clear cookies and browser history?
1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks gents....no I have not run CCleaner or set the browser to delete kookies but will certainly check and correct it if the option is ticked. The shop owner does not think CCleaner is a must, what do you guys think?
Just checked and note the option you show is not shown in my view though cookies are not barred as seen in the second screen shot. Cheers Dave.
Last edited by Dave Davison on 24 Aug 2014, 19:21, edited 1 time in total.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I have moved a series of posts about CCleaner that were not directly relevant to this thread back to the Other Applications forum (where this thread originally started).

See Opinions about CCleaner.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Dave, the following worked for BobH. Could you try it too, please?

- Go to the Board Index.
- Click the link "Delete all board cookies". In the default prosilver skin, you'll find this link near the bottom, and in the other skins, near the top.
- Refresh the page (press F5). You should now be logged out because the logged in status is kept in the Lounge cookie.
- Now go to the login page and login again, ticking the check box "Log me on automatically each visit".

Does that help?
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Followed those instruction Hans & (don't know if I am barking up the wrong tree or not) but if I log out when leaving the lounge, the next time I click the Lounge link in my "Bookmarks" the web page obviously opens and when I click the "Log in" tab the caption shown in my initial post appears and the tick is missing from the "Log me in automatic" box. Don't know if that is normal as I can't really remember if I have in fact just been in the habit of closing the web page without hitting the "Logout" tab. If the "log me in automatic" box should remain ticked regardless of whether logging out or not before closing then there it looks like there is something amiss. Is it prudent to simply leave the lounge without logging out? If so, there is not really a problem. :thankyou: Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

No, you should NOT log out when leaving the Lounge. If you do log out, you will ALWAYS have to log in again next time you visit the Lounge, regardless of whether you ticked the check box "Log me on automatically each visit" or not.
If you want to remain logged in, simply close the tab in which you viewed the Lounge. This is not a problem on your own PC.

If you ever visit the Lounge on a public computer, e.g. in a public library, in a hotel lobby or in an internet café, it is wise NOT to tick the check box "Log me on automatically each visit", and to log out explicitly when you're done.

It works exactly the same for other sites that you visit that require logon. If you log out at the end of your visit, you'll have to log in again the next time even if you specified that you want to remain logged in. That only works if you don't log out.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Abundantly clear Hans thanks awhole bunch. Never cease to be pleasantly impressed by the lengths you guys go to in order to enlighten "slow to grasp" oldies like me. Not knowing what you meant by the "prosilver skin" it took me some time to discover the whereabouts of the "Delete cookies" tab but there you are, some know nothing, others know something and there are the others. Just goes to show how much this site is appreciated guys. Glad to see a friend of mine recently signed up after more than once mentioning the lounge to him, yet another grateful surfer. Regards Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You can select a so-called "skin" (style) for the Lounge from Edit global settings:
S322.png
The default style is named "prosilver". If you prefer one of the others, you can switch to it.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Dave Davison wrote:Glad to see a friend of mine recently signed up after more than once mentioning the lounge to him, yet another grateful surfer. Regards Dave.
Now you can ask for some monetary commission each time they receive assistance from the lounge.

:whisper: Be sure to include me in the cut for every solution Hans supplies :evilgrin:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.