Email Notice and Subscriptions

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Email Notice and Subscriptions

Post by Bigaldoc »

I've put a NO in my profile for email notices, but if I "subscribe" to a forum simply to have a faster way to get to the forums I'm interested in, I get emails for every post in the subscription list. Is there a way I've missed where I can subscribe to a forum but NOT get emails?
2010-01-24_093732.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Email Notice and Subscriptions

Post by HansV »

I fear that this feature is lacking in phpBB - you can't add forums to your control panel as in the old Woody's Lounge, nor do you have detailed notification settings as in the Windows Secrets Lounge.

But some skins such as AeroBlack and Rainbow Pearl let you collapse forum categories you're not interested in:
x.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Thanks again, Hans. Ya know, the truth is, I've kinda gotten used to not having forum subscriptions and I imagine you know why! Besides, this Lounge Index screen is not so cluttered that it isn't a problem for me.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Well, as fast as Mike is, I thought maybe he'd found something he could change that would eliminate the emails.

In http://www.eileenslounge.com/viewtopic.php?p=1850#p1850" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to Chris, it sounded like that had been changed, so I re-subscribed to this forum and immediately got several emails. (Chris was commenting about the undesirability of ALL the emails.)

I guess I just mis-read Mike's grammar.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

This hasn't changed, as far as I know.
Best wishes,
Hans

mwolfman
The Man, The Myth, The Legend

Post by mwolfman »

HansV wrote:This hasn't changed, as far as I know.
Nothing changed. If you unwatch everything in the subscriptions, you won't get emails UNLESS you re-subscribe OR, and I think I left this out before, when you make a new or reply to a message, there's a tick right above the submit button:

Notify me when a reply is posted.

If you don't want emails from that thread, untick it.
Mike Wolfman

--To err is human; to really screw up requires root

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

mwolfman wrote: Nothing changed. If you unwatch everything in the subscriptions, you won't get emails UNLESS you re-subscribe OR, and I think I left this out before, when you make a new or reply to a message, there's a tick right above the submit button:

Notify me when a reply is posted.

If you don't want emails from that thread, untick it.
Just to clarify for some; the global setting, mentioned by Al above, if set to no, there shouldn't be any need to untick the "Notify me when a reply is posted." at post time, correct?
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The global setting in the User Control Panel determines the default setting for new posts.
So if it's set to No in the User Control Panel, the check box in Options will be clear for new posts.
And if it's set to Yes in the User Control Panel, the check box in Options will be ticked for new posts.
You can always click the check box to change the setting for individual posts.
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Yep; as I thought. Thanks.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I found that the fix listed by Al works, except, for the posts that were made before I made the change. To stop those, one needs to click the "Unsubscribe" link at the bottom of EACH one that one has been subscribed to.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Carol W.
3StarLounger

Post by Carol W. »

I was about to post a new Topic on this subject but found this thread in searching the Lounge.

I think I must be confused about what it means to "subscribe" to a forum. I've subscribed to both the Access/SQL and VB/VBA/.NET forums. They appear as subscriptions in my User Control Panel. However, I am not receiving emails for every post in every thread in those two forums. I am receiving emails but they are sporadic; in some cases (e.g. the "2 x Microsoft Access Errors" thread), I haven't received any emails at all.

I do want to receive emails for every post in every thread in those two forums. What am I missing?
Carol W.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'll ask upstairs if there are problems with sending out e-mails.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

There appears to be a problem with subscriptions. Mike Wolfman is looking into it.
Best wishes,
Hans

Carol W.
3StarLounger

Post by Carol W. »

Hans,

Thanks for the follow-up.
Carol W.