Shockwave Flash Player

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Shockwave Flash Player

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Folks, on accessing the Lounge via a bookmark where my log-in details are remembered, I occassionally get a pop-up stating Shockwave Flash Player has not responded (or words to that effect) with the option of clicking 2 boxes but don't remember what they are for.
The reason I ask is, I read somewhere, SFP is not now required so I deleted it.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Shockwave Flash Player

Post by viking33 »

Roderunner wrote:Hi Folks, on accessing the Lounge via a bookmark where my log-in details are remembered, I occassionally get a pop-up stating Shockwave Flash Player has not responded (or words to that effect) with the option of clicking 2 boxes but don't remember what they are for.
The reason I ask is, I read somewhere, SFP is not now required so I deleted it.
I still have unresolved SFP problems. See SFP
I've tried many suggestions but it still rears it's head occasionally, but not while accessing the Lounge. I think it's a Mozilla problem but only a guess, since many hits on Google mentions Firebird. :scratch:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Bob, thanks for your speedy reply. I do use Firefox as my default browser. I mainly use my Laptop and use the keyboard for scrolling pages to save battery power on my cordless mouse and it can be rather jerky in moving. Could this be related to NO SFP being installed.
Never heard of 'Firebird' till now.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I don't know whether this writeup is of any assistance? I had thought that Macromedia Shockwave Plash Player was long ago renamed Adobe Flash Player...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Hi John, I have never used Micromedia SFP but I use Adobe FP.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The only place where Eileen's Lounge uses Flash Player is the clock in the upper right corner of the Portal page:
S0539.png
If you don't have Flash Player installed, you'll see a blank rectangle instead of the clock.

@John Gray: the term "Shockwave Flash" is still used by Adobe Flash Player in some dialogs; they have probably been left unchanged all those years.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

I see the clock without any problem.
I thought SFP & AFP were different as both showed in Programs and Features when both were installed.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

I'm confused. I have Shockwave Flash and Shockwave for Director installed as Firefox plugins, but not Adobe Flash Player. These are what get updated whenever I go to Adobe for Flash Player updates.

And where does HTML5 fit in as the now preferred substitute for Flash?
Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Shockwave Flash is the "internal" name that is still used for Adobe Flash Player.
Shockwave for Director is hardly used nowadays - I think you can safely uninstall it from the Programs and Features control panel.
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Roderunner wrote:Hi Bob, thanks for your speedy reply. I do use Firefox as my default browser. I mainly use my Laptop and use the keyboard for scrolling pages to save battery power on my cordless mouse and it can be rather jerky in moving. Could this be related to NO SFP being installed.
Never heard of 'Firebird' till now.
Oops, Firefox! :groan:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.