Are There Tricks to Sizing Avatars?

BobH
UraniumLounger

Are There Tricks to Sizing Avatars?

Post by BobH »

I just changed my avatar to a tiny little image only 70 or so pixels wide. To meet the 10 kb size limit, I had to shrink it dramatically; however, my old avatar was, dimensionally, much larger as are many of the avatars I see here.

I tried saving the file as both .jpg and .png formats and found that the latter produces a larger file. I haven't tried making it a .gif because that requires me to use another program with which I am not familiar.

Are there tricks to keeping the image a reasonable screen size while still meeting the Lounge limit on size?

:thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Re: Are There Tricks to Sizing Avatars?

Post by HansV »

Your current avatar is only 50 pixels wide; the maximum allowed size is 90 x 90 pixels.
For photographs, JPG format is usually the most efficient, but for this picture with its limited color palette, GIF results in a smaller file size while preserving reasonable quality:
207.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hey Bob,

Now I'm not going to be able to trust another post you upload :laugh:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Hans!

Rudi! After what you did to Clint Eastwood and beautiful puppy, I should be saying that to you. :laugh: :flee:

Be careful! You are being watched.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs