Doing A Specific Search

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Doing A Specific Search

Post by hlewton »

Never did know exactly how to do a specific search or if it is even possible. I just tried searching this site for DVD Players and came up with many hits that were just saying Player. Is it possible to force a search here to look for DVD Player and nothing else? If so how is it done because I looked at the advanced search and still did not find a way to do it.

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Doing A Specific Search

Post by HansV »

To search for DVD Player, enclose the search text in quotes: "DVD Player".
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thank you. I will try that now.
Regards,
hlewton

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Howdy, Hans!

My search fu is awful on the best of days. I'm glad to know how to create a very specific text string argument for searching. I read the FAQ (which doesn't mention the use of quotes) looking to see what else I didn't know. FAQ does not cover multiple term searches, concatenations, et al. Is there a brief on this that I can read somewhere? The functions are probably a function of the phpBB code used on the forum, but I have yet to find a search argument on the 'net that will lead me to search function usage on phpBB forums.

:thankyou: :cheers: :chocciebar:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

To search for posts containing a specific word: enter that word in the search box, optionally prefixed with a +.
Example: to find all posts containing the word setfocus, enter setfocus in the search box.

To search for posts containing each of several words (but not necessarily together, or in the order you specify them): enter those words in the search box separated by spaces, optionally prefixing each word with a +.
Example: to find all posts containing the words setfocus and textbox, enter setfocus textbox in the search box.

To find all posts containing some word(s) but not other(s), enter the words in the search box separated by spaces, and prefix the words you want to exclude with a -.
Example: to find all posts containing setfocus but not textbox, enter setfocus -textbox in the search box.

The above options work both in the "simple" search box and in the "advanced" search box.

To find all posts that contain a specific phrase, go to Advanced Search and enter the phrase enclosed in quotes in the search box.
Example: to find all posts containing the words setfocus textbox next to each other and in that order, enter "setfocus textbox" in the search box, including the quotes. (In this particular example, nothing will be found.)

The Advanced Search screen has various options to further limit the search results: by author (for example, only posts by rudi), and by forum (for example, only posts in Windows 7), and to organize the search results.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Great information, thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Hans! That is exactly what I needed. Can it be added to FAQ? Please and thankyou: :cheers: :chocciebar:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs