Cursor Position Shifts

BobH
UraniumLounger

Cursor Position Shifts

Post by BobH »

Can someone explain why the cursor position does not remain constant when one moves to select bbCode markers and smilies?

Am I doing something wrong or is there a tweak needed somewhere in phpBB?

This is the only forum in which I've encountered this issue.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

HansV
Administrator

Re: Cursor Position Shifts

Post by HansV »

I cannot reproduce the problem in either Internet Explorer 10 or Firefox 23.0.1.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

:flee: OK!

I'll try to get screen shots.

Here is the first on after starting this post:
cursor1.jpg
I then clicked on Full Editor to get to smilies and inserted one:
cursor2.jpg
I did nothing to reposition the last position in the post; however, after choosing the smiley, phpBB decided that the cursor position was not where I left it.

Does this help?

I'm using Waterfox, but I remember having had the issue in Firefox, too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

BobH,
I have noticed this behavior, enough to make me recheck the position of the cursor, just before I click on a smilie. I just assumed it was a quirk in the software.
Now it's automatic before clicking.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

When I switch from quick reply to full editor, or when I preview a post/reply, I lose the insertion point altogether.
But when I'm editing, the insertion point stays put when I insert a BBcode tag or a smiley. It is inserted exactly where I want it.

Have you installed any add-ins in Waterfox? If so, does the problem persist if you turn off all add-ins temporarily?
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

[This is the result of Step 6]
cursor4.jpg
[Step 1: OP]I had several add-ins, etc. All are now disabled. Let's see what happens.

[Step 2] Make screenshot of OP showing cursor/insertion position, edit to crop and insert red arrow and save for later upload.

[Step 3] Click out to Full Editor to get smiley and click it.

[Step 4] Make screenshot of results after clicking on smile, edit to crop and insert red arrow and save for later upload.

[Step 5] Upload first ss, add it, re-position cursor at insertion point at end text (because it had reverted to line 1, pos. 1) and click Place inline.
cursor3.jpg
[Step 6] Upload second ss but without repositioning cursor before clicking Place inline and the jpg is positioned at row 1 position 1.

Note that the process of selecting a .jpg and pressing 'Place inline' also produces the issue (insertion point reverts to first position in post).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm sorry, but I have no idea why you (and viking33) are suffering from this problem. Apparently it is not a problem with phpBB, since I don't experience it in either Internet Explorer or Firefox. Since I'm a prolific poster, I'm sure I would have noticed it even if it occurs only occasionally.
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

HansV wrote:I'm sorry, but I have no idea why you (and viking33) are suffering from this problem. Apparently it is not a problem with phpBB, since I don't experience it in either Internet Explorer or Firefox. Since I'm a prolific poster, I'm sure I would have noticed it even if it occurs only occasionally.
Hey Hans,
I'm not suffering from this "problem." I just posted that to state that I have experienced the similar event. It doesn't always happen and I have learned to live with it fine. :smile:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

HansV wrote:I'm sorry, but I have no idea why you (and viking33) are suffering from this problem. Apparently it is not a problem with phpBB, since I don't experience it in either Internet Explorer or Firefox. Since I'm a prolific poster, I'm sure I would have noticed it even if it occurs only occasionally.
As the other Bob said, it is not a true 'problem' as living with it is easily done. I questioned it because I have always experienced it in the Lounge but nowhere else.

Thanks for taking a look at it, Hans!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)