POST numbers in digests?

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

POST numbers in digests?

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I asked about locating post numbers about 2-6 months ago, Hans answered, but I can't find that thread.

I would like to know post numbers, and to that end have tried digest subscription in both plain-text and in HTML format with no success.

I recall that this BBS software is not like the other BBS software, in that post numbers are not so eaily found.

But please, is there a way to receive a digest (of any kind) that includes post numbers?

P.S. I note in passing that one cannot, apparently, search by post number.

P.P.S. Below is a snapshot of how I see posts in the HTML digest format d/l with Mozilla Thunderbird. (for those who read this but don't get digests)
Untitled.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

HansV
Administrator

Re: POST numbers in digests?

Post by HansV »

Our forum software, phpBB, by default doesn't display post numbers. Because we were used to seeing post numbers in Woody's Lounge, Mike Wolfman tweaked phpBB slightly to display the post number above the user avatar, and added a custom tag [post=...]...[/post]. But there is no built-in option to search for post numbers.

In general, we prefer to keep tweaks to the software to a minimum. With each update of the software, you have to make sure that customizations are preserved, and that they still work. Woody's Lounge became difficult to maintain at the end, before the conversion to Windows Secrets Lounge, because it had been so heavily customized.

Digests is a ready-made add-in for phpBB. We'd rather not mess with it.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:... display the post number above the user avatar,
Thanks Hans for your by now normal erudite answer (if I got that right!).
Untitled.png
I take it that this is the tagged item to which you refer.
I suspect that my only hope would be to grab a page and parse the html (VBA here I come!), because I gather the tag wouldn't be in the html format of assembled digest.
I'll continue to poke around for a few days.

I completely understand and agree with the lack of desire to tweak something that is working!
Thanks again.
P.S. Pls buy a beer for Mike and put it on my tab.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote:I'll continue to poke around for a few days.
Here's a PrtScr image of what I see when I open the HTML digest in Notepad.No Post number is apparent.
Untitled.png