AA Question for Bowlie (and Other Apple Mavens)

BobH
UraniumLounger

AA Question for Bowlie (and Other Apple Mavens)

Post by BobH »

Is it possible to post pics here in Eileens Lounge using an iPad?

I tried starting a thread and posting a pic, but the Choose File option under Upload Attachment is greyed out.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Timelord
4StarLounger

Re: AA Question for Bowlie (and Other Apple Mavens)

Post by Timelord »

This is me adding file from ipad
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Who will you Inspire today?

Timelord
4StarLounger

Post by Timelord »

I had no problem. I did not see a 'browse' button but rather a button called 'Choose File' in the normal location. I did use the 'Full Editor' too.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Exactly the same process as any PC.
This image is loaded from my iPad...
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Still not working for me. I see "Upload Attachment" in a ribbon across the screen. I'm using the Subsilver 2 theme. On the left I see a "Filename" tag and to its right I see "Choose File" in an oblong bubble but it is greyed out. The pic I want to post is in the Photostream. I can find and copy the pic but I don't see a filename.

is it Photostream causing the problem? Can you Apple folks tell me how to find the filename for a given pic in Photostream?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

]Hi Bob,

When I open a lounge reply screen at the bottom I have two tabs: Options ( which is selected) and "upload attachment". I touch the latter and I get a box with "choose file" and "File comment". This time I chose the former and get a choice "take picture or video" or "use existing". The latter lets me choose from any image stored in my Photos or iPhoto". Like this
image.jpg
This is the result of hail vs. a Grosfillex garden shed.
Last edited by Bowlie on 16 Jul 2013, 19:21, edited 1 time in total.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Totally off-topic, but this picture baffled me until I finally realized it was rotated. Now I'm wondering how safe it is to visit Switzerland if that is the type of damage you get from the weather. :flee:
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

:confused: it's not rotated to me!

Well they say it was the worst storm in over 20 years. We had hail stones the size of golf balls. In addition to the shed we lost a big window and some window blinds. TV antenna also shredded but not so bad, it's only the French stations that are affected. :evilgrin:

Still safe to visit, you just need to duck :duck: every 20 years or so.

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

Bob,
I've retread your post. I don't know why 'chose file' would be greyed out. I don't think Photo Stream would be the cause. That just puts photos into an event of your Photos App. Have you checked your lounge settings ??? The photo I posted came via Photo Stream.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Bowlie wrote::confused: it's not rotated to me!
That's really worrying!

I would have expected this:
image2.jpg
Best wishes,
Hans

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

Hans that's exactly what I see. I took the picture with my iPad in portrait, I see it in my Photo App in portrait, and I see both your image and mine in portrait and right side up.

:confused:

Has everyone moved to the antipodes?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

This is how I see your post:
S0180.png
Best wishes,
Hans

Timelord
4StarLounger

Post by Timelord »

I see it the way Hans sees it

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

Hans' png file is rotated to the left by 90 degrees. But I still see my original and Hans'first jpeg not rotated.

Curiouser and curiouser said Alice.

But back to the thread, why can't Bob select a file?

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

It shows it correctly on my iPhone and iPad, but sideways on my PC.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Strange. Bowlie's original picture is rotated to the left by 90 degrees, viewed on my PC. If I drag it to the desktop and view it in Windows Photo Viewer, it appears normal. Very strange. :scratch:

P.S. Sorry, Bob...
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

Bob, It seems the issue is why the upload attachment button is greyed, one reason could be if the browser was failing to see the images in your photo app.

Some things you can try are to;

1. Backup your iPad to your PC (I assume you do this fairly often)

2. Disconnect, if connected from PC
3. Turn iPad off (Press and hold the wake/sleep button until the red slider appears)
or
4. Open and close Photo App
4.1 Force quit Photo App (After closing App press home button twice rapidly. Your recently used apps should appear along the bottom. Press and hold the Photo icon until it giggles. Press the X to quit it.
or
5. Do a 'hard-reset'. Press and hold both the wake/sleep and home buttons for at least 10 seconds - until you see the apple logo appear. Your preferences are not reset.
or
6. Reset iPad settings. From Settings choose General -->Reset --> Reset All Settings. All your preferences are reset, but your data and media aren't deleted. You may be able to restore preferences from your backup, but you could also be restoring the problem. I would try it though.

Oh,,

P>S> Using my iMac my original image IS rotated!

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

Image040.jpg
Some of our golf-balls about 15 minutes after the storm. And to see if image rotated when uploaded from iMac.

Edited to add: to me it's not rotated.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

This one looks normal when viewed in Windows.

(When I downloaded the picture of the garden shed to my hard disk, Windows showed a rotated (sideways) thumbnail, but when I double-clicked it, the picture viewer displayed it correctly. Apparently the orientation of the photo is stored in the file, but in such a way that Windows and MacOS don't see it, while iPad and my picture viewer do...)
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Bowlie!

I will give those things a try. I'm typing now from my BIL's laptop using Win7. I saw your post of the hail damage rotated 90 degrees, too.

As for the hailstorm, they are a common event in Texas, Oklahoma and other mid-western states in the Spring. They form in the same cloud formations that sometimes spawn tornadoes. A few weeks ago there was a hailstorm in OK that covered the ground for miles to the depth of a foot in some places. Grapefruit sized hail - which will kill you if hit upon the head - is the largest I've ever seen.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)