Out of interest, what is criteria for a VIP?

Rudi
gamma jay

Out of interest, what is criteria for a VIP?

Post by Rudi »

Hi,

In the Welcome to Eileens Forum message it mentions this: "we haven't appointed Moderators or VIPs". Just out of curiosity, could I inquire what is the criteria for being recognised as a VIP? I'm not fussed with titles, but just interested. TX :smile:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Leif
Administrator

Re: Out of interest, what is criteria for a VIP?

Post by Leif »

Criteria #1: Don't ask questions.

:grin:
Leif

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Apart from Leif's reply: in Woody's Lounge (now the Windows Secrets Lounge), the rate of posting was quite high: over 100,000 posts per year in 2000-2006. Moreover, the forums needed quite a bit of monitoring: users posting questions in the wrong forum, links that didn't work, content that violated the rules, etc.
Moderators were appointed to manage one or more forums: they had the ability to edit and move posts.
VIPs (then called WMVPs) didn't have special abilities, but they assisted the moderators by pointing out potential problems etc.

When we set up Eileen's Lounge, we used more or less the same structure as in Woody's Lounge, and created the possibility to appoint moderators and VIPs in case they were needed.

As it has turned out, managing Eileen's Lounge has been very easy. The much lower volume of posts is not even the most important factor. Our members are generally very well behaved, so very little "policing" is necessary. We did have a hard time keeping the spammers out, but we're well protected now.

So it's not a lack of appreciation that we don't have moderators and VIPs - the need never really arose.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

TX. Even in the Woody's Lounge days I was never sure what the role of the WMVP (or VIP) in this case was all about...but your explanation clarifies that. I in my negligence of these things was under the impression that the VIP's were similar to the MVP's and that one needed to achieve a certain qualification in Microsoft or other software to get to this "status". TX.

BTW: To NOT ask questions is a VERY high standard...what will I do in the lounge if I cannot ask questions??? Besides, we need to keep you busy :grin:
Regards,
Rudi

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

HansV wrote:So it's not a lack of appreciation that we don't have moderators and VIPs - the need never really arose.
We certainly appreciated the assistance of the VIPs and moderators in the old lounge. As Hans mentioned, our members here are well behaved, and, the technology to keep the riff-raff out has greatly improved, needing almost no human intervention, albeit, we block certain toxic spammers even before they have a chance to come and attempt to break our techno-party, so to speak :smile:
Rudi wrote:BTW: To NOT ask questions is a VERY high standard...what will I do in the lounge if I cannot ask questions??? Besides, we need to keep you busy
Answer the questions my friend, don't ask, hehe :evilgrin:
Cheers, Claude.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

:whisper: I'd love to know where you MOD's go to ask questions, lol
Regards,
Rudi

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The admins can ask each other questions, of course.

And then there is Google...
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

An unpublished item is that ex-WMVP and WS VIP's do get a stipend here in Eileen's.
My quarterly dividend check does come in handy occasionally! :clapping: :laugh: :joy: :money: :nope:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It's the same round figure that everyone here receives, including the admins. :grin:
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

LOL - It looks like the 5 zeros are making another round...
Who thought that 5 zeros could be such a useful value or statement. Maybe we should create a smiley for 5 zeros :grin:
Regards,
Rudi

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

OK, you piqued my interest, too, Rudi!

Before I ask the question, I DID look in FAQ for an answer but found none; so, could you please tell us what the break points in number of posts are for each rank?

I especially want to know how many I have to post to become a "stiff cheese", like Claude. :flee:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

See User Ranks,
Titles such as "Stiff Cheese" and "Clever Clogs" are custom titles that the admins gave themselves, they are not related to the number of posts.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

BobH wrote:I especially want to know how many I have to post to become a "stiff cheese", like Claude. :flee:
Thats easy, to get to the Stiff Cheese rank, you have to post enough to reach 5 zeros... (Thats a HIGH number!) :laugh:
Regards,
Rudi

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

HansV wrote:See User Ranks,
Titles such as "Stiff Cheese" and "Clever Clogs" are custom titles that the admins gave themselves, they are not related to the number of posts.
Sigh! :sad: To think I was once a Uranium Lounger at Woodies. Now reduced to a mere Silver here. Sorta like getting "busted" in the military. :salute:
BOB

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

We all started with a clean slate in Eileen's Lounge...

(You're still a Uranium Lounger in the Windows Secrets Lounge - they removed the old user ranks at some point, but restored them a bit later.)
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

HansV wrote:We all started with a clean slate in Eileen's Lounge...

(You're still a Uranium Lounger in the Windows Secrets Lounge - they removed the old user ranks at some point, but restored them a bit later.)
I was just poking some fun. I know what the rules are here and that's the way it is.
I wouldn't dream of going back to WSL, particularly with the manner the whole coup d'etat was handled. :flee: :sad:
Eileen's is the place to be!
BOB

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

HansV wrote:See User Ranks,
I could never DARE to aspire to the rank of "Clever Clogs." It is far and away beyond my abilities. :grin:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs