Has "Remember Me" Changed?

BobH
UraniumLounger

Has "Remember Me" Changed?

Post by BobH »

(With apologies in advance for bringing this up again . . . )

In the past, it has been my habit to stay logged in to Eileen's Lounge. Of late, that doesn't work despite my having checked the 'remember me' box.

At first I thought I was being logged off when I closed my browser (Firefox), but recent events have given the lie to that assumption. I do have the lounge URL protected from being removed when I close my browser with the 'delete history on close' option chosen. Now, even without closing Firefox, I am being logged out. It appears to be on some sort of timer because if I return to the Lounge in relatively short order, I find I'm still logged in. If that is not the case, I can't find any other factor to suspect.

I went to UCP to see if I could find anything there but only found some options I didn't understand. :cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

HansV
Administrator

Re: Has "Remember Me" Changed?

Post by HansV »

No, it hasn't changed...
Do you use some kind of 'cleaner' such as CCleaner?
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Firefox Options > Privacy & Security...
Scroll down to Cookies and Site Data
Click on Manage Data...
Enter "eileen" in the search field, and you should see something like this:
_
x.jpg

How many do you have? - I have three, and am successfully remembered.

Now close Firefox and don't open up again until a period great than you think your 'short timer' is.
When you restart Firefox, check how many cookies for Eileen's you have - has it changed?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leif

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Leif wrote:
12 Jan 2021, 08:43
When you restart Firefox, check how many cookies for Eileen's you have - has it changed?
Untitled.png
Hello Leif.
I am way behind BobH, as usual. I am "dropped" from login on at least one other lounge besides Eileen's. I can go a week without being logged out, and then Boom! I had grandiose plans to harvest "dropped" status on two laptops and two smart phones, but to this date have not got around to designing my logging sheet (grin).

I followed the steps you outlined above and found two sets of three cookies each, as shown in the edited screen shot.

Question: Is three the magic number? That is, should everyone be showing "3" for Eileen's Lounge cookies, or is that just the number you happen to see on your (presumably) successful system?

Thanks
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I seem to have six cookies for the lounge, but it all works fine, so ...
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Eileen's Lounge sets the following cookies:
- One with your user ID (each user has a unique ID; if you hover the mouse pointer over your username or avatar on the side of a post, it's the number at the end of the tooltip)
- One with a unique session ID; this will change from time to time.
- If you tick 'Remember me', a third cookie is used to do so.

Apparently for some users the eileenslounge.com and www.eileenslounge.com cookies are listed separately, while they are combined for others. This may have to do with your browser settings.
Best wishes,
Hans